Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More about Quilt Market/Houston

I received more pictures of the Blank Quilting Booth from Mark who went back home last night.














Diana (Creative Director) commented!

It was such a thrill to win the prize for “Best merchandised booth” at Quilt Market this year. This is the first time Blank Quilting has ever won such an award! We were all elated and smiling ear to ear, needless to say. Thanks to Mark’s ideas and vision, we were able to come up with an original booth display that showed our fabrics and was inviting to our customers. All the leaves on the trees were representative of all of our new fabric collections. This was our “Tree of Inspiration”. It exhibited all the different styles and colors of our designers coming together in one place creating a beautiful tree.
We certainly received a great deal of attention! It was really wonderful.

I had interviewed Mark Hordyszynski in this morning.
About Display
When Hoodie and Diana asked me to work on the design for the booth for Quilt Market - I thought I have so much to do, I cannot commit. But I found it was very fun and exciting to do this... so I did. As always, I let my creativity flow freely, and I wanted something that would be very impressive, functional, and not KILL us to put together. I knew this was achieved when we set out for market because I felt very confident. It wasn't until the second day of set up that people started saying it was SO good we might have a chance at an award. I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT!! But after they said that, I knew it was true! And the rest is now history.
About Rock Candy
When I designed Rock Candy I tried to accomplish two very important things.
The first is provide an innovative basic, with unique colors that would really bring a quilt or any project to life.
The second, now that we embellish practically everything – it is a fabric that already has a wonderful shiny metallic or colored pearl highlight, which can be accented even more with novelty or metallic threads.
See how all the beautiful colors work together, and just look at how the fabric just comes alive with luster and shine!
About my Books
My first novel SHAG is an idea I had for a log time. I thought I would write a children’s book but when I sat down to write, it came out as an adult novel.

SHAG is a story of the magic of a baby mammoth returning to life after being frozen in a block of ice for thousands of years, and how this wonderful creature changes the lives of the people who come in contact with him.

STRIP & KNIT WITH STYLE, my first how-to book published by C&T, is the exploration of a product I developed for my booth at International Quilt Market in 2005. The concept of stripping fabric—cotton, wool, rayon, nylon, and more—and then knitting with it became a very liberating experience because if handled correctly, almost any fabric can be knit.

I am very proud of both publications and have enjoyed the experience so much I plan on writing more books in the future.

Finally, my turn!
When I arrived at the Blank Quilting Booth, Sam told me that Michele came over the booth and was asking for me.
We walked to her booth,
EZ Quilting/Simplicity Creat
ive Group.
No one was there at the time but this mannequin was waiting for me.
How cute!! I love all the appliques that are on it.
What a great idea!
I have exactly the same mannequin in my basement!
This combination of fabrics for this apron is "Morning Call" #5290 Black and "Medetai"#5428 Black.
All of the people working at their booth wore a combination of my black and white, red and white fabrics. Thank you, Michele!
Quilt Designer, Jean Ann Wright.
She bought two cute aprons with my "Morning Call" Fabrics during the first day of Quilt Market at our booth.
I love she used #5290 (I call it Serving Set) Col/Aqua and #5291 (I call it Spot Dots) Col/Carrot for her half apron.
This color combination was my original idea when we decided colorways from our color pile. #5286 (I call it Rooster Parade) Col/Vintage Roosters are lined up at the bottom. It is a great match!
Reversible full apron = #5292 Col/Red, Pocket #5290 Col/Black.
Other side #5289 Col/Apple (I call it Fun Dots), Pocket #5290 Black
and trim #5287 Col/Black. Thank you, Jean!
#5292 (I call it Sweet Garden) Col/Red, it seems this is a great design and color for aprons.
I found another apron when I was going to meet my friend by her booth.
Threaded Pear Studio She has blog: www.QuiltersBuzz.com
Gina had so many cute things in her booth. I was pleased my fabrics were there as well.
#5292 Col/Red and #5290 Col/Black. Thank you, Gina!
My friend, June Colburn (June Colburn designs 11) made this quilt with my "Morning Call" and "Medetai" fabrics.
She used her sewing pattern "RIBBON BOUQUET"
She put a coffee cup (From my fabric) in the middle of her design,
"The aroma of coffee"
Thank you for making this cute quilt during your busy schedule.


Please forgive that these five pictures were not good quality.
We took pictures using Mark's phone camera, unfortunately we think his lens was dirty and they came out blurred.
I hope I can get better pictures someday!
Lazy Girl Designs Joan Hawley made a nice bag with "Medetai" group.
#5467 Gold – Lining fabric
#5466 Gold – Main cover fabric
#5465 – Bottom cover fabric
#5429 Black – Inside pocket fabric
We showed your sample bag to customers. All of them loved it.
Thank you, Joan!

I couldn't walk through all of Market. My trip was shorter than I thought.
I hope to see you at Spring Market!
Houston was 70˚F. When I was back to NJ, it was 56˚F and I was lucky not to be wearing a coat when I arrived.
Today in NJ it was rain and cold 37˚F. My son checked "weather.com"- there will be a snow shower tonight. He is happy to be thinking of snowboarding or that his school will be closed.
I love snow very much but I think it is a little too early to be in winter.
Many leaves were falling and it is wet tonight.
Colors are beautiful. I want to enjoy fall season longer.
I made this design 2006 Fall. It was a dropped design but I still like it. It is funny, this concept was matching our winning booth!

My new looking Triangle bag, Messenger bag, Dress Apron with "Morning Call" fabrics and new two aprons will posted soon!

1 comment:

Darlene said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Hoodie!

Please tell - Out of how many booths did you & Blank Quilting win best booth? I'm guessing there were quite a few.

Thanks for posting all the pics. I love seeing all the creative uses of your lovely fabrics.